First: ($200) Glioblastoma Multiform grade four
Lyn Vellins Alexandria NSW
Second: ($80) Southern Wright Water
Paul Scully Croydon NSW
Third: ($50) Escape
David Campbell Beaumaris Vic
HC: The Music Tower
Gillian Telford Booker Bay NSW
C: Varanasi Odyssey
Penelope Evans Rushcutters Bay NSW
C: A Bedroom In Arles
Kevin Smith Maleny Qld
Congratulations to everyone.
We were impressed with the variations in style and subject in your poems.
Comments have been sent to as many poets as possible. We hope that, after further work, these poems can be sent out again. Even those that have won cash prizes can still be accepted by some magazines as we do not publish your entries anywhere.
- Follow conditions ie line limit, number of copies etc
- Watch rhythm, even free verse should show a subliminal rhythm.
- Edit your work for omissions, typing and spelling mistakes.
- Be wary of too many adjectives.
- Make your choice of word match the subject, tone, pace.
- Avoid cliché.
- Avoid sending poems previously entered in the same competition.
- Include ssae if you want a possible comment and a hard copy result sheet.
Improvement can be made by reading modern poetry ie Best Australian Poetry. Ask your librarian about current poets. By all means read all those classic poems you love but take care not to use archaic language in your own poetry. Use the speech of today.
The Kitchen Table Poets’ book, Tangents is now available, $15 – postage included email